Pros and cons of condoms
Some features of making use of condoms:
- Whenever utilized precisely and regularly, these are typically a method that is reliable of maternity.
- They help protect both partners from STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhoea and HIV.
- You merely want to utilize them when you yourself have sex – they cannot require advance planning and are usually suited to unplanned intercourse.
- More often than not, there aren’t any medical negative effects from making use of condoms.
- They’ve been very easy to get your hands on and are available many different forms, sizes and flavours.
Some disadvantages consist of:
- Some partners realize that using condoms interrupts intercourse – to have for this, you will need to make using a condom element of foreplay.
- Condoms are particularly strong but may divide or tear or even utilized precisely. Should this happen for you, practise putting them on which means you become accustomed to using them.
- Some individuals might be allergic to latex, plastic or spermicides, you could get condoms which are less inclined to cause a reaction that is allergic.
- When utilizing a condom, the person needs to take out after he’s got ejaculated and before his penis goes soft, keeping the condom securely set up.
Can anything make condoms less efficient?
Sperm can occasionally enter into the vagina during intercourse, even though employing a condom. This might take place if:
- Your penis touches the area across the vagina before a condom is wear
- The condom splits or comes off
- The condom gets damaged by razor- sharp fingernails or jewelry
- You utilize oil-based lubricants, such as for instance cream, child oil or petroleum ointment, with latex or polyisoprene condoms – this damages the condom
- You will be making use of medicine for conditions like thrush, such as for instance ointments, pessaries or suppositories – this will harm latex and polyisoprene condoms, and prevent them working correctly
If you believe semen has entered the vagina, you might need emergency contraception. You can make use of crisis contraception as much as five times after non-safe sex (whenever semen entered the vagina).
Opt for having an STI test. It is possible to visit a:
- Intimate wellness center
- Contraception center
- Young man or woman’s hospital
You should use another kind of contraception, like the contraceptive supplement or implant, for additional protection against maternity.
But, other designs of contraception will not protect you against STIs. You are going to remain prone to STIs in the event that condom breaks.
Where you might get condoms
You could get condoms at no cost, even though you’re under 16, from:
- Contraception clinics
- Intimate wellness or GUM (genitourinary medication) clinics
- Some GP surgeries
- Some young adults’s solutions
You can even purchase condoms from:
- Mail-order catalogues
- Vending devices in a few general public toilets
- Some petrol channels
Constantly buy condoms that carry the kite that is BSI therefore the European CE mark. What this means is they’ve been tested towards the safety that is required.
If you are under 16 yrs. Old
Contraception services are free and private, including for folks underneath the chronilogical age of 16.
If you are under 16 and need contraception, the physician, nursing assistant or pharmacist will not inform your moms and dads (or carer) so long as they think you completely understand the details you are offered together with choices you are making.
Physicians and nurses work under strict recommendations when working with individuals under 16. They’re going to encourage you to give consideration to telling your moms and dads, nevertheless they will not prompt you to.
The time that is only expert might wish to inform another person is when they think you are at an increased risk of damage, such as for example abuse. The chance will have to be severe, as well as would frequently talk about this with you first.
Web web web Page final evaluated: 19 September 2017 review that is next: 19 September 2020